North Shore Wellness Centre has some tips for this years cold season.
Here in Vancouver, it feels as if it is always raining and with the rain, most of us are caught with the flu. To stay at the top of your game this flu season, follow our wellness and prevention tips:
- Avoid people that are sick… and remember to wash your hands if you do encounter a not-so-well friend.
- Stay home when you are sick… it’s important to get lots of rest to allow your body time to heal itself.
- Take care of your body… in addition to getting lots of rest, eating and exercising will help your body stay happy and healthy.
- Wash your hands frequently… and avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
- Consume more Vitamin C… Vitamin C has been shown in clinical trials to reduce the intensity and duration of the common cold. Did you know you can get vitamin C from potatoes, broccoli, and lemons, in addition to oranges!
- Drink lots of water… Dehydration inhibits the immune system.
- Eat garlic… Fresh garlic has powerful anti-viral and antibiotic properties to kick start your immune system.
- Avoid sugary foods… in addition to processing artificial sugars, your body’s immunol function can be decreased for up to 5 hours.
- Have a glass of wine… Studies show that those who drink one glass of red wine a day have a decreased risk of getting the flu by 20%
- Take a break… Those who work in high stress environments get sick more often than people that take time to relax
- Maintain Wellness… If you’re finding that each time you feel healthy and well, it only lasts briefly, it may be because you’re not maintaining your wellness. We recommend patients book in at least once a month, for maintenance appointments here at the North Shore Wellness Centre. This will maximize your health potential and keep you feeling your best. A healthy lifestyle starts with you!
To book in call (604) 980-4538 or access our online booking site here